Sunday, April 13, 2008

I Can't Believe That's Butter

From the Lost Files:

I've been pretty flat out lately and so there hasn't been any new postings here, although there are several drafts like this one waiting to be finished.

Went to a friend's birthday party, now a few weeks ago.

We were asked to bring cupcakes instead of a birthday cake. Rich, decadent cupcakes that we're somewhat famous for. However the last few years we've pretty much eliminated butter from our diets. While we're still "omnivores" we have minimized dairy products, especially butterfat from our diets.

As famous as we are for our decadent chocolate treats -- we're equally famous for our Vegan baked treats. Well Barbara must have felt fanciful -- or was it just rushed for time and it was easier to make the recipe from the back of a hershey's cocoa container -- always good -- she used butter.

All night long people were going nuts over the cupcakes -- they devoured the cupcakes. I on the other hand didn't bother until I got home and had one of the cupcakes that didn't make the party..............there was this taste that I didn't care for. The cupcakes were nicely frosted. The chocolate cake was so moist, and rich tasting.

Do I daresay anything??

The next morning we're talking over coffee, and remarking about the "crazy" excitement over the cupcakes. Barbara casually mentions there was butter in the cupcakes.................Ah-ha, butter. Here was my opening -- I confessed about not quite liking the cupcakes and of this funny taste, that I now knew was the butter.

As I mentioned we've been eliminating dairy products from our diets when we can. To replace 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee -- I ocassionally make Soy milk. Purchased a Soymilk Maker from a friend Rob, at The Chefs Shop, Great Barrington MA. Makes the best soy milk -- biggest drawback, it only makes a liter at a time -- it's delicious on granola, in coffee, even to drink. Everyone started drinking it it and I can't keep up with demand.

Are you thinking is this guy crazy? Making your own Soy Milk? Well it couldn't be easier to do and it resulted in us incorporating a new food in our diet -- Okara -- this protein and dietary fiber rich grain is the pulp left over after you pulverize the Non-GMO, Organic Soybeans into Soymilk. The machine pays for itself in a few weeks -- just look at the price of a gallon of Fat-Free Milk -- almost $4.00 gallon in our neighborhood -- 1 pound of Non GMO/Organic Soybeans are about $1.50 and will make over a gallon of delicious soy mlk.

Here are some interesting links to check out:
Cooking With Okara
Soyabella Soymilk Machines

Okay check back here in another few days..........."TTYL"

1 comment:

Haralee said...

Kevin, I admire your convictions.
Soy Milk! and making your own! Wow